Establishment of Scholarships and Bursaries
1. The purpose of the university's Coursework Scholarship program is to attract and retain students based on merit who will be amongst the most able of their generation, irrespective of their means and circumstances.
2. The program provides a range of merit-based scholarships.
3. The program also provides a range of equity-based scholarships and bursaries aimed at educationally disadvantaged students with the capacity to participate in higher education.
4. Equity scholarships and bursaries are established to target designated categories or groups.
5. There will be a formal process for determining the eligibility, range and value of all scholarships and bursaries.
6. Scholarship and bursary naming nomenclature must adhere to the following conventions:
- Scholarship - A title included in the award to indicate it recognises academic merit.
- Bursary - A title included in the award to indicate it recognises equity issues only.
Funding of Scholarships and Bursaries
7. The University will fund a range of scholarships and bursaries from central university resources.
8. Scholarships and bursaries funded by faculties or external donors must be established and managed within the parameters of this policy and its associated procedures
Awarding of Scholarships and Bursaries
9. Applicants must meet the prescribed eligibility requirements before being considered for selection for each scholarship or bursary.
10. Selection will be based on published selection criteria for the specific scholarship or bursary.
11. Students who are employed full-time by Monash University on a continuing basis or a fixed term contract for 12 months or greater will be ineligible to apply for coursework scholarships and bursaries.
12. Each scholarship and bursary will have a set of terms and conditions that will be provided to all successful applicants and must be agreed to by the applicant upon accepting the scholarship or bursary.
13. Students will be assessed no less than annually for continued eligibility of their awards.
14. The awarding of Merit scholarships will be recorded on a student's academic transcript.
Administration of Scholarships and Bursaries
15. A report will be provided annually to the Coursework Admissions and Programs Committee (formerly the Education Committee), including information on the number and range of scholarships and bursaries supported on a yearly basis.
16. Scholarships and bursaries will be publicly promoted and students will apply via a formal application process.